Thursday, April 11, 2013

Circumstances??

In this culture, there are just some things you don't talk about.  It gets embarrassing for both parties since this culture is very conservative.

The other day at school, I found myself in this situation where I was breaking the cultural rules before I knew quite what was happening.

Here is a play-by-play of the story:

Me:  (thinking to myself)  Hmm, I wonder where  an 8 year old boy, Gopal, is?  I haven't seen him at school for several days.  I should ask about him.  (to one of the teachers)  "Where is Gopal?"
Teacher 1:  "Gopal has a disease."
Me:  "A disease?  Is he okay?  Is he sick?  Can we do anything to help?"
Teacher  1:  (to Teacher 2)  "Come!"
Me:  (to Teacher 2) "I am wondering where Gopal is.  Is he okay?"
Teacher 2:  "He has a sickness."
Me:  "What type of sickness?"
Teacher 2:  "Hmm.  Do you know the word...circumstances?"
Me:  "Circumstances??  You mean like situations that happen in your life?"
Teacher 2:  "No...you know...like Jesus had?"
Me:  "Oohh!  Circumcision!!"
Teacher 2:  (face is beat red)  "Yes, circumcision."
Me:  (face also turning red and giggling)
Teacher 1:  (embarrassed laughing)
Teacher 2:  Gopal is Muslim.  He will come back to school on Wednesday I think."

Whoops!  Didn't see that one coming when I asked about an 8 year old boy! I guess I was a little slow on the pick-up of "circumstances."



1 comment:

  1. Did everyone know why he was out but no one was talking about it? Interesting.
    The more you know...

    ReplyDelete