Saturday, January 5, 2013

Double Take

Happy New Year!!

A friend of mine from training in the States made a New Year's Eve appearance in my city and stayed for a few days.  What a New Year's treat!

Now this friend is unlike any friend I've ever had.  She is at least as tall as I am, maybe a 1/2 inch taller!  It is extremely rare to find a girl who is my height. It is also extremely, extremely rare to find two of us together!

Bengalis, the people group most prominent in my city, are, I think, the shortest people group in South Asia.  Not kidding.  I stick out up like a sore thumb.  People are always looking at the tall girl and wanting to know my height.  People here aren't shy about staring or asking either.  I've gotten to the place where I can pretty much ignore them.  I just look above their heads.  I do miss out seeing some interesting things happening closer to the ground, but at least I don't see them looking at me.

With two tall people, I think everyone we walked past just turned and looked.  It was non-ignorable!  We went to the Victoria Memorial together and part of the time if felt like we were on display, just like the exhibits.  I've decided I don't really like to be an exhibit.

Oh, but it was worth all the stares to spend a few days with a friend I hadn't seen in quite some time.  Next stop for the two of us together is Thailand.  The people are even shorter there, so there may be some triple takes! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment