I went to the mall today and decided to look for a new sari. My friend is getting married in a couple weeks and, although I have two really nice saris that I like, I thought it might be nice to get a new one for her wedding.
I walked by this shop and something in the window caught my eye. It looked like a sari with beautiful dark blue background, small teal flowers, and lots of gold detailing. It was so pretty and didn't look goddy like many of the saris look to me here.
I went in and inquired if it could be made longer (since I am quite tall and everyone else is rather short). He said it wasn't possible, so I regretfully walked away from it and to the next shop. At the next shop, they said they could add fabric to the top of the sari to make it longer.
Seeing no saris in that shop that particularly caught my eye, I decided to go back to the first shop and ask if they could also add fabric to that sari. He said that no, they could not add fabric because this was actually not a sari but a lehenga. I asked him a price and I heard him say 3,500 rupees, about $70. That was more than I had intended to spend, but it was so pretty that when he asked me if he could take it off the manikin and hold it up to me, I agreed.
A lady showed up to help me and instructed me on how to dress in the trail room. The lehenga is three parts: a skirt that reaches the floor, a short top that looks just like a sari top, and a dupatta that can be wrapped to make it look like a sari or wrapped in another fashion. I tried it on and the skirt was long enough. The top was a bit tight, but I asked if it could be taken out and some additional fabric added to the sleeves. After much talk and consideration, they thought it was possible. They asked me to sit in the dress and wait for the tailor to come. It took him about 10 minutes to arrive. He measured me, looked the blouse up and down, measured the blouse, and then eventually decided that it could be done.
I changed back into my clothes and handed it to one of the women who told me to go up to the front counter to pay. I was thinking to ask for a discount since it was more than I wanted to pay, but since the tailor was going to do all that work, I decided to just let it go. I felt a little guilty spending $70 on a dress, but I decided that I really liked it and it was worth it.
As I arrived at the front counter, the woman asked me, "Cash or card."
I replied, "Cash,"
She said, "The total is thirty-four thousand, five hundred rupees."
My hand froze on the three one-thousand bills I had. What?!?! Had I really heard correctly? 34,500 rupees?!?! I asked her again to clarify and she again replied, "34,500 rupees." She even showed me the price tag that clear as day read, "34,500."
THAT IS $700, MY HEAD SCREAMED!
I looked at the lady and as apologetically as I could said, "I am so sorry. I thought it was only 3,500 rupees. I can't pay 34,500. I am so sorry."
I felt awful. I had spent 30 minutes in that shop wasting their time because there is no way in the world I would ever spend $700 on a dress. Oh, I felt so bad. I just kept apologizing over and over again.
Thankfully the woman was gracious and said it was okay and that she understood.
Walking out of the store, I was in disbelief for several reasons.
1. The dress was $700. I didn't even know they made dressed that expensive here. It was have been hand-stitched in 24 karat gold thread.
2. She had asked me cash or card and I had replied cash. She didn't even blink an eye. She must have seriously thought I was carrying $700 worth of rupees on me.
3. I had on no make-up, was wearing a t-shirt, and hadn't taken a shower that day. She somehow still thought I could afford $700 on a dress. I guess it is the skin color that spoke on that one.
4. I HAD SAT FOR 15 MINUTES WEARING A $700 DRESS!!! I think if I totaled all the clothes I own here and all the clothes in America, I would be hard pressed to have spend $700 total. Wow! I don't think I'll ever that that experience again to wear a $700 piece of clothing. I only wish I had taken a picture!
Amazing experience--another one I have never had! It is nice to have expensive taste, but best when you know "that is way too much" for clothing. Maybe you can spend that much on your own wedding dress someday????? Maybe... You are quite the shopper these days--I can just see you and your thrill of finding the beautiful dress and counting the cost of splurging. And then the embarrassment at the end! It made me sad when you wrote the insights at the end about them never doubting you had the money AND your willingness to spend it! Love you, my girl!!!
ReplyDelete