One of their most famous dishes is Vada Pav. It is a dinner roll with some spices and potato inside. Very, very good!
There was also some grilled corn which was also quite tasty!
It rained about every moment of everyday while I was there, so I had to get some of the street food inside--at the mall. I tried Pav Bhaji which is like a lentil curry that one eats with dinner rolls. I also had some Dahi Puri and Pani Puri. They are little crispy shells with filling inside. The Dahi Puri is covered in a yogurt mixture while the Pani Puri is served dry. Again, another couple yummy dishes.
Mumbai is also famous for brain curry, Bheja Fry. We got adventurous and tried some mutton brain. The sweet lady we were staying with bought some at the store.
And boiled on the stove.
Next, she chopped it up...
...and then put it in a curry mixture.
The finished product!
It didn't have much taste, but the consistency was interesting. It started out like scrambled eggs but when I chewed it got creamy. It was my first brain tasting, and although I'm glad I had it, I think it might be my last brain tasting!
Another Mumbai specialty is the Mumbai duck. Contrary to its name, it is not duck at all, but fish. Aparently it is loved all over India, especially in Kolkata, and people would take the fish from Mumbai to Kolkata on a 3 day train. One distinguishing characteristic of the fish is its smell--bad smell. It is also extremely tender and the bones come out easily. It was pretty good!
| What the Mumbai duck fish bones look like |
No comments:
Post a Comment