Monday, June 24, 2013

Done Well to Have This on Your Heart

This past week, I finished up my final "work" thing.  We had our final trainings with the women we have been teaching.  Things are wrapping up.  Now it is down to say final good-byes, eat final dinners, run final errands, and finish final packing.

It is extremely hard to believe that my work in this city and country is almost over.  The Father allowed me to be involved in some wonderful things, teach some fantastic women and children, and see Him work in great ways.

But, sometimes I wonder if I've done enough.
There are still so many things I wanted to do.

Sometimes I look out my window at the city of millions who do not know Him and I weep.  There are still millions who do not believe.  There are still millions who live in slums.  There are millions.  There are millions.

My heart breaks for the millions.
My heart longs to help the millions.

A few months back, I did a B.ble study about Nehemiah and how the Father had placed a specific task and people on Nehemiah's heart.

One of the lessons referred back to King David and King Solomon.

King David had just finished building his extravagant palace and was sitting on his porch when he saw the Ark of the Covenant being housed in a tent.  The Ark of the Covenant represented the presence of G0d and was the place were direct intercession and communication with God happened in the Old Testament.

David was startled and cut to the heart at the disparaging truth of what his eyes beheld.  He, a king, was living in a brand new, state-of-the-art palace while the dwelling place of The King was in a tent.

David knew what he wanted to do.  He knew what was on his heart.  He wanted to build a house to G0d, a temple, so that the Ark of the Covenant could rest in it.  It was a good and right thing that he wanted to do this.

However, G0d said, "No."  God explained that David had shed too much blood in his life to build a house to G0d, but that His son would have a reign full of peace and he will build a house for His Name.

David didn't get to build the temple.  David's son, Solomon, did.

When Solomon had finished building the temple and brought the Ark of the Covenant to rest in it, he said, "My father David had it in his heart to build a temple for the Name of of the L0rd, the G0d of Israel.  But the L0rd said to my father David, 'Because it was in your heart to build a temple for my Name, you did well to have this in your heart.  Nonetheless, you are not the one to build the temple, but your son, who is your flesh and blood--he is the one who will build the temple for my Name'" (1Kings 8:17-19)

David had the desire to honor G0d by building Him a temple.  His desire to ultimately honor G0d was transferred to Solomon building the temple because that was G0d's desire. 
God still honored David's desire, and the temple still was built.  It just wasn't David who did it.  It was his son.

"You did well to have this in your heart."

How I want the L0rd to speak those words to me.

I had a lot of things on my heart while I lived among the millions.  I had wanted to enter a new slum to do EV outreach and community development.  I had wanted to be apart of many of the children and their families coming to know JC in the slum where I taught.  I had wanted to become great, close friends with South Asians and help them have the Peace of JC.  I had wanted to learn the language in a way that I could fully communicate issues of the heart.

I had wanted.  I had wanted.

I had it on my heart.

But, for one reason or another, those things didn't happen.  I didn't enter a new slum.  The children and their families didn't come to know JC.  I didn't develop close friendships with South Asians.  I didn't learn the language well enough to be effective in communicating heart issues.

I haven't gotten a direct word from the L0rd as to why these things didn't happen.  I don't know for certain that there will be a Solomon who will accomplish what I had on my heart to do for the L0rd.  I do know that G0d doesn't leave things unfinished and He will accomplish what He wants to accomplish in the way He wants to accomplish it. 

As I pack my bags to leave, my work here may be finished, but His work is not.  I have faith He is raising up a Solomon to continue on after I leave.

May I forever be like David whose ultimate desire was to glorify G0d.  It wasn't what he himself could do for G0d that was the most important thing.  It was that G0d be honored and praised, whether He used David or not.  Oh, that I would say, "G0d whether you use me or whether you don't use me and choose to use someone else, may Your Name be lifted up and may You draw all people to Yourself."

G0d has given me a peace from reading the story of David and Solomon.  I hear G0d whispering to my soul as I prepare to leave, "You did well to have this in your heart."





1 comment:

  1. I have had similar thoughts and feelings in the past. I am so thankful that He is Faithful and that His Word still speaks to us today! He walks with us every step, He knows where the path leads, He is in Control, He Holds All! I am glad your heart breaks for those who need Him, but I am also glad that Our Mighty G0d has given you His peace and assurance from the scr-pture. We will continue to lift up those precious people and follow where He directs. Love you my sweet girl! Mom

    ReplyDelete