Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Catching You Up

With my blog being down for almost a month, there are quite a few interesting things that happened that I haven't told you about yet.  Most of what I have been learning in class, I have sent newsletters out about, but when class was not in session...things got interesting!

First off, "I felt the earth move under my feet."    I experienced my first earthquake.  I was sitting in a session and suddenly I heard something that sounded like a train and everything was bouncing.  I sat for about two seconds thinking absolutely nothing...then someone yelled "EARTHQUAKE!"  After about a second more, I finally went, "Ohhh" and dove under a table.  I stayed there for a bit and then people started running for the door and outside.  I followed suit.  When I got outside, the earth was still moving under me.  It was quite an interesting experience.
Important lesson:  I looked up earthquake procedure and discovered that you should not run outside in an earthquake because something might fall on you while you are running.  Since I was under the table, I should have stayed there!

I experience my second natural disaster last than a week after the earthquake.  Hurricane Irene came to visit.  That Saturday was all a wash.  It was drizzly and rainy all day, plus there were some pretty strong winds.  We are about 2 hours from Virginia Beach so the storm really wasn't bad for us.  Some of the storms we had in Missouri earlier this summer definitely had higher winds and heavier rain.  Here is a picture and video from outside my quad. 



Friday, I also finished getting all my immunizations.  I got 3 that day and had 7 in total (during all of training).  I don't mind shots, but some of them hurt going in and made my arms rather soar.  However, some other folks had strange dreams and fevers the next day.   See my cool band-aids below??




I think that catches you up on everything.  It is hard to believe how fast time has flown.  In a week from today, we will have our commissioning service and then the next day I leave.  Wow!!  I can't wait to see what other great things the Father has in store for my last week here!

No comments:

Post a Comment