Sunday, January 29, 2012

Another Rickshaw Story

I debated posting this story all day today because it is very embarrassing, but also very funny. The funny won out, so here goes…

A couple days ago Julie and I got in a rickshaw together. Now generally, I know how to brace myself so I don't fall out, especially when we hit bumps or go around corners too fast. However, this time, we had just gotten on and were just slowly going down the somewhat smooth road. All of the sudden, I was falling out of the rickshaw. I have no idea as to why but all I knew was if I didn't find something to hang on to fast, I was going to face-plant into the road. My eye saw the bicycle seat, so I frantically reached for it as my feet slipped to the road. Problem being, the rickshaw wala (driver) chose that instant to also sit down on the bicycle seat. My hand found his rear-end and in my desperation, I grabbed on for dear life. My other hand pressed against his back and I began to push him almost off the rickshaw. I quickly regained my balance, but was thoroughly embarrassed and sorry for falling out of the rickshaw and touching the rickshaw wala. As I was expressing my sincere apology, I turned to look at him. In a culture where I'm not even supposed to look at men in the face, touching them anywhere, let alone there was quite awkward for me and shocking
for him. He was just standing there grinning. Even more mortified, I climbed back in the rickshaw and told him to go.

Oh, the things that happen here that could never happen anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment