Saturday, March 17, 2012

March Memories

When I think of the month of March, my mind doesn't immediately send up any red flags about this being a strange month to be away from home.  It's March...Easter doesn't fall in March this year, no one in my family has birthdays in March, no huge, major holidays occur...it's just March.

However, THIS week of March, I guess is an important week for me.  St. Patrick's Day isn't really that important of a holiday.  I don't think I could even tell you what St. Patrick did other than he was a cross-cultural worker--and I definitely can't tell you why we wear green, talk about leprechauns, and eat corn beef and cabbage.  Nonetheless, in my family we always did special stuff on St. Patrick's Day.  We eat corned beef and cabbage, lime jello, a McDonald's Shamrock Shake (if I can manage it), and generally watch "The Quiet Man."  Little things that create big memories.

About 10 or so years ago, my family started filling out brackets for the NCAA basketball tournament.  It is always a friendly competition and the winner gets a Sonic milkshake.  Being half-way around the world does not lend itself well to the NCAA tournament.  All the games are in my middle of the night.  I go to bed and wake up to find out my team has already lost!  Additionally, you know how you get games on the TV or can pay to have them on the Internet?  Did you know that Internet streaming only works in the US?  Again, little things that create big memories.

One last reason why this week is important.  My university always had spring break on this week.  It was always really, really close or on St. Patrick's Day that I got to go home.  I would be home for almost all the first two rounds of the tournament and it was just really good family time.  It seems like I should be home this week, but alas, I'm not. 

So, Julie and I had to create some of our own March Memories this week.  Not that we aren't always creating memories, but you get the point. :)  We both filled out NCAA brackets.  I emailed my home so my family could keep track of my games.  Yes, you guessed it, my bracket is already busted!  Who'd have thought that Mizzou would lose on the first round.  24 hours ago, I was convinced they would win the whole thing!
  

Today being St. Patrick's Day, we also had to make it special!  Mom had somehow managed to get us St. Patrick's Day pins and stickers in the mail, so of course I had to wear them.  South Asians haven't really caught onto this holiday, but that was okay, I wore the pin and a green print shirt for my own benefit.

For me, what makes St. Patrick's Day St. Patrick's Day is the food.  I tried a new recipe and made Irish Soda bread (no raisins or caraway seeds).


Below is Julie and my version of corned beef and cabbage.  I had to be a bit creative because, well, beef isn't an option.  Had I known it would take about a week to corn my own chicken, I might have done that.  But, I didn't think that far ahead, so I opted for a brown sugar, garlic, salt, clove, and nutmeg marinade.  It wasn't corned beef, but it was pretty good. 


Julie also got in a festive mood and found a green "table runner", made green spinach salad, and even found some Irish clog music.  Yes, we did a bit of an Irish jig before sitting down to eat!


For dessert, we made "green" caramel corn.  It's a little hard to see and the dark brown sugar kind of turned the green a funny color...but it is still green!


So life is good.  Taking old memories, putting a South Asian spin on them, and making new ones!

Happy St. Patrick's Day
Watch "The Quiet Man" for me.  For some reason, South Asians haven't taken much interest in that movie?!?!?!







No comments:

Post a Comment