Sunday, June 3, 2012

Somewhere Between Europe and Asia

I said “Ciao” to Rome by taking one last stroll by the Trevi Fountain, souvenir shopping, sampling a cannoli, seeing one last Asian tour group (who are kind of the vain of our tourist existence), and eating a wonderful cheesy pasta dish.  Then it was off to the airport.  And it was an adventure!

Cannoli and Cappuccino 

Yummy!

The Asian Tour group

Our last Italian meal

We lingered a bit too long in the Roman ambience, and had to rush to get to the airport.  Once we arrived, only an hour before our flight was scheduled to leave, there was a long wait at the ticket counter.  Time was definitely ticking down and we were all starting to get nervous.  Next came security.  Oh my goodness.  That line took forever!  Once through, we rounded the corner to find yet another line at passport control/immigration.  At this point, we had 20 minutes before our flight should be leaving.  I was super, super nervous.  All of the sudden I hear this voice yelling over the crowd saying “Our flight leaves in 20 minutes, we need to get through quickly.  Can we go in front of anyone?”…and I knew the voice…it was my teammate!  Some sweet older people let us get in front of them and we were stamped out of Rome in record time.

I was the last through and I just told Julie and Carissa to run.  I started running and was quite impressed with myself.  I almost caught up with the other two girls when my 25 pound rolly carry-on began to really slow me down.  That and the sign that said our terminal was 5 minutes away.  Oh man, all the pasta and pizza from this past week were really taking a negative effect on me.  (Jillian Michaels, I’m coming for you later.)  I knew I couldn’t keep this pace for 5 minutes!  There was a point I saw Julie running up ahead and I said to myself, “She’ll stop the plane for me.”  So, I slowed my pace a bit to keep myself from collapsing on the airport floor.  I finally made it to the gate, ran onto the bus,…and waited…and waited…and waited for all the other people who had been in security and passport control to come get on the bus before we finally road a few feet to the airplane and boarded it.

My heart had finally stopped racing and we were beginning to taxi to the runway when I thought I should check to see where my passport is.  You know the thing that is very important and you need it to get in and out of countries around the world.  I couldn’t find it.  I looked through my purse, Julie looked through my purse, Carissa looked through my purse.  Nothing.  We looked in the bin above.  Nothing.  I told the flight attendants.  One of them hit the floor and looked on the carpet.  Nothing.  We ripped up our seat, the thing that can turn into a floatation device.  Nothing.  At this point I am about to lose it.  I’m thinking through my options.  No matter which way I looked at it, it was bad, bad news.  I thought I had it when I got on the plane, but I wasn’t sure.  Maybe it was on the bus.  Maybe I dropped it as I climbed the stairs up to the plane.  Maybe it is stuck in the airplane door flopping in the wind as we flew.

Trust.  Pr@y.  Trust.  Pr@y.

My eyes closed for a moment in exhaustion and then I felt a tap on my shoulder.  I opened my eyes to see a US passport with my picture on it in front of my face.  It was my passport!  A lady several rows back found it at her feet.  I’m not sure how it got there, but it was there.  Suddenly I was hugging this woman and the female flight attendant.  “Praise the Lsrd.  Praise the Lsrd!”  The flight attendant took my passport and stuff, stuff, stuffed it down into the bottom of my bag.  I was not going to lose it again on her watch!

The plane landed and I entered a new country.  This country is full of history and spans not one, but two continents.  The city, a city of 17 million, also spans both continents.  I am so excited to be here and visit with some friends.  I will only be here about 36 hours, but there is so much to see and so many good things to eat!  

A view out the bus window in this new city.  It reminds me of home with all the trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment