A few weeks ago, I heard the college and career group at the Fellowship I attend was going to have a BBQ to send off those returning back to college. When I heard the words "Bar-be-que", I had to take a moment's pause. I know what an American BBQ would entail, but a BBQ in South Asia, now that is a different story.
Would they grill?
What would we eat? Certainly not beef, so no steaks or hamburgers.
Since they are few open spaces in the city, where would we meet to enjoy this BBQ?
Would this really just be an over-glorified picnic?
The day of the picnic arrived and I was more excited about seeing what a BBQ would be like in South Asia than the actual food (which you probably know by now is a big deal because I love food.)
The BBQ took place on the roof of a building which worked very well, expect for at one point they were cooking pork and the neighbors almost called the fire department because the flames were shooting above the ledge. The whole neighborhood was pretty concerned about it and I saw several curious eyes peering through their windows.
For the food, I had a real shocker. They asked several of us girls to fix some kebabs with meat, green peppers, and onions. You're not going to believe this, but the meat was BEEF! I couldn't believe my ears, then my eyes, then my nose, and then my taste buds! Perhaps it is because I haven't had steak like that in about a year, but that was some of the best beef I've ever tasted.
In addition to beef, there was chicken and pork. When I heard they were having pork and I was thinking pork loin or something, so I took a couple pieces. Upon further examination, I discovered it was just a big piece of lard. Yes, straight pork fat. No wonder the flames were shooting toward the sky when they were cooking it! All the South Asians around me seemed to really enjoy it, but I just couldn't do it. Somehow the saying "from the lips to the hips" must be even more true when it is pork fat crossing the lips.
There was also salad, chips, and mashed potatoes. The lady who made them pulled me aside before she began and asked me how I make them. She said, "You put in milk, butter, salt, and pepper…and that's all?" I responded in the affirmative and then she asked again with a hint of hesitation and disbelief in her voice, "And that's all?" I know, in comparison to the vast array of spices South Asians put in their food, only those four ingredients seem a little, um, bland. I have had mashed potatoes with a gob of green chilies in them before (they were probably the spiciest thing I've ever eaten), and I was glad she opted for the American version. Apparently the way to eat mashed potatoes here is to spread them on sliced bread and eat them like a sandwich.
Most everything else about the night was pretty American-like, unless you count the green chilies on a skewer roasting over the coals.
One thing that was defiantly like a BBQ back home, was the great fun, food, and fellowship with friends!
So glad you had a taste of home! Miss your sweet smile.
ReplyDelete