Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Water, Water, Everywhere!

It is monsoon season here.  I've never lived in a place where there are monsoons before.  I knew when I came here that this part of the year was going to be interesting!

The state where the city is that I am living has actually been borderline drought this monsoon season.  I was a bit disappointed that I was getting to see the deluge of water and people wading through the streets in water up to their waists.  I know that may be a little unsympathetic that I was disappointed that I wasn't witnessing people struggling in the water, but, what can I say, I really wanted to experience the monsoon in it's true form.

This week, I went to the state south of where I live and much to my delight, they were having the monsoon weather here.  It really is something to see in person and, as with most things here, pictures don't really do it justice, but here are a few below.

Water, water, everywhere!

Out the window.  It was raining at the time so the picture is a bit spotty.

Yes, the water is up to that person's knees and yes, a bus is going through it.

Just like in the flash floods back home, people do get swept off the road.  This poor truck ended up in a ditch and there are several men, all of whom I think were passengers, trying to push the truck out.  They did eventually get it accomplished and got the truck back to relatively dry land.

Look at all that water!
The monsoons in this state have been particularly bad this year and have caused a lot of flooding.  

After about five minutes of seeing this, I now understood why the people who live here really do not like this weather one bit and I had changed my tune about liking the monsoon as well.  It causes problems and destruction.  Our plans to travel were canceled and we turned around and went back to dryer land.  Some, however, where not so lucky.  I looked at pictures yesterday of families who had lost everything they had to the flood.  About 95 families are now without homes due to the floods.  Farming is also a concern as this much water isn't good for any plant, even the rice who like a fair amount of water.

Please remember the people in this state during the remainder of this monsoon.  Also, please lift up the farmers who may have lost their crop and the families that have lost their homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment