Sunday, September 23, 2012

Book Recommendations

I just finished reading a series of three books set in India.  They chronicle through four generations of two families who are from different caste and religion.  The series starts in the early 1900s and ends in the mid 1980s.

This series of books is especially good because it talks about things that exist in India, but are rarely spoken of.  It, through the medium of fiction, gives an inside look at issues like bonded labor, rights of women, caste, discrimination, and religion.  One of the aspects of religion the books focus on is the idea that to be Indian is to be H.ndu, and to be C-ian means giving up ones Indianness.  It also shows how these issues have progressed and changed over time.

I highly recommend you read them.  I learned quite a bit reading them and they really opened my eyes to how things were and might still be.  I think it would also open your eyes to what life has been like here in the past and the struggle for equality and freedom that is still taking place.

Here are the links on Amazon to the books.  They are in paper and Kindle form.

The Faith of Ashish: Blessings in India Book #1

The Hope of Shridula: Blessings in India Book #2

The Love of Divena: Blessings in India Book #3

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment