Monday, September 10, 2012

Snow Day?

Well, not really.  But, I suppose this is the South Asian version--in a place where the average high is in the 90 degree range.  Today, I was supposed to go to the school and teach.  My teammate's parents are here and it was going to be quite a morning of showing them what we do here in the city.

I was completely ready, had my bag packed, and had just downed the last of my coffee, when the phone rang.  "You will not come today."  Oh, okay.

I woke up this morning to rain pounding on my window.  It was raining hard.  The past week has been full of rain, the most rain I have seen here this monsoon season.  The road that winds through the slum and leads to the school is dirt--now mud.  On a good, relatively dry day, I have almost slipped and fallen in the mud several times.  The road must be impassible today.

So, I have a "mud day."

And, I have the same feeling as I would on a snow day.  Hmm, now what?  What am I going to do on my now free day??

No comments:

Post a Comment