Monday, October 22, 2012

Durga Walk

I went on a walk today in my city.  Here are some things I saw:  

A god making factory of sorts

These are pandals, and although they look like real buildings, they are just made of bamboo and cloth and have been constructed in the past month.

Inside each pundal are several idols, including Durga, the big on in the center.




This location was like a fair with carnival type games surrounding the "rock" pandal (below),









As I walked, my heart broke.  Amidst  the feeling of festivity, the lights, the colors, and new clothes, the people was a overwhelming sense of great darkness that covered the city.  In two hours, I had probably seen thousands of people lost and searching for peace in idols made by human hands.

“To whom will you compare me?  Who is my equal?  Some people pour out their silver and gold and hire a craftsman to make a god from it.  Then they bow down and worship it!  They carry it around on their shoulders and when they set it down, it stays there.  It cannot even move!  And when someone prays to it, there is no answer.  It has no power to get anyone out of trouble.  Do not forget the things I have done throughout history.  For I am G0d—I alone!  I am G0d, and there is no one else like me.”  Isaiah 46:5, 7-9


Will you please remember the people in my city?
Ask that the following verses would be true of them:

"The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
    a light has dawned…
    you have shattered
the yoke that burdens them,
    the bar across their shoulders,
    the rod of their oppressor…
For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty G0d,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace
 Of the increase of his government and peace

    there will be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne
    and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
    with justice and righteousness
    from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the Lsrd Almighty
    
will accomplish this."  Isaiah 9:2, 4, 6-7





1 comment:

  1. For this blog you need a reactionthat says "sad" or "heart breaking"! Such festivities and all to no avail!!--except the satisfaction of doing what they have been taught is pleasing to a god constructed with human hands. So hard for me to grasp!! My cry is to Our Father for the people of your city. May blind eyes note the darkness, and turn to His Light!! Arise, shine, for thy Light is Come...Lift up thine eyes round about and see... Isaiah 60: 1-4

    ReplyDelete