They shampooed and conditioned my hair like they would in the States. The conditioner was good stuff--my hair is super soft now. While they were doing that, a man came in and started doing puja (worship), sprinkling water, and lighting incense candles. Needless to say, that had never happened to me in a hair salon before.
Then she started cutting my hair. Now, the way South Asians cut their hair and the way Americans cut their hair is quite different. That is why I hadn't gotten my hair cut sooner. Plus there is this language barrier trying to tell her what I really want. I wanted a trim, but I still wanted some long layers.
I think I should have just said I wanted a trim...
As she pulled up the top of my hair and started to cut off 3 inches, I tried to say "stop," but, of course, by that time the scissors had snipped and the damage had already been done. There was little point in telling about it as she cut the rest of my hair, because she had to make me look balanced.
My friend kept telling me it looked really cute and it was still long in the back. Nonetheless, as I saw my hair on the floor...
and the shorter than I wanted layers in my hair in the mirror, a few tears escaped.
After returning to the house and looking at it further, it really is okay. Not like what I had in mind, but it doesn't look too bad. Maybe I'll learn to like it. If nothing else, all the split-ends are gone and it will grow back.
It is hard to see since I'm wearing black, but what do you think?
Okay, I know I'm probably overreacting especially because as I look at these pictures, it doesn't look too much different...
Was this a "spontaneous" decision? It certainly does not look bad--not at all! And your hair is still really long. It has been ages since you have had it that long. I hope you got a few layers like you wanted. Why is getting a haircut such a huge deal for us? I need to go, but keep putting it off. I think I'm afraid it won't be what I want!?! Did writing help you feel better? You look beautiful to me and I like the new cut!
ReplyDelete