Sunday, December 9, 2012

My Spice-Meter

Growing up, I hated eating anything that was spicy.  I didn't even like chili (and my mom made it mild) because it was too spicy.

Then I moved to South Asia.  People here love, love, love spice.  They eat little chili peppers plain and raw!  During my time here, I have been exposed to some really spicy dishes.  You know, the ones that make your eyes water, nose run, and leave that burning sensation in the back of your throat.

This week I discovered my spice-meter has changed.  I had been wondering if I was begining to adapt to all the spice, and this week, I got my answer.  One one occasion, we ordered pizza and there was a pepperoncini pepper in it. I decided, at Julie's urging, to cut off a piece and try it.  Much to my surprise, it tasted more sweet than spicy.  Later on in the week, I ordered a pizza that, unbeknownst to me, had jalapenos on it.  I started picking them off, just like I always do.  But I missed one and ate it along with my bite of pizza.  It also tasted sweet and really did add to the taste of the pizza.  In short, I actually liked the jalapeno on my pizza!

But last night was what confirmed it for me.  We were making chili and started to season it with a chili seasoning pack.  We put in one pack and tasted it.  It need more chili seasoning!  It didn't hardly taste like chili.  So, we added another half a pack and it tasted much better...like chili.

Quite a change from the girl who used to not like chili at all because it was too spicy!

Now, I will say, I am still a weeny on the spice.  There are still plenty a meal that I down all my water and need to use a tissue on my nose.  And I'm not yet putting chili peppers in my mashed potatoes or wanting them in my lasagna.  Probably, in my made-up spice-meter, I am still less than average on the ability to handle spice--and that is okay with me.  It is just funny to think of how far I've come!


The chili we made. This should probably be a separate post, but I'm just including it in this one.  I've never made chili before.  Julie has, but not like this.  We had to start with dry beans, soak 'em, pressure cook 'em, and then use 'em.  As you can see from the looks of the pressure cooker, we made quite a mess of our kitchen.  Even sprayed the back wall with red bean juice!  Oh, but it was so worth it!  Yum, yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment