Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Rest of Bangkok

Views of Bangkok

The Skytrain which is basically the best thing ever!  I used it daily multiple times and sure beat the Bangkok traffic!


Bangkok:  City of Life--Land of Smiles

For you, Dad
 Views from the boat ride







 

Democracy Monument



As is most often the case, democracy came at the price of fighting


 Victory Monument
 

Some History


A synopsis of what I learned:  Jim Thompson, an American who moved to Thailand following his service in World War II, rebuilt the silk industry in Thailand and expanded the Thai silk market internationally.  He also was a big collector of Thai and European antiques and remodeled his home and built a garden to reflect both Thai and European influences.  Oddly, he disappeared in an Asian jungle at age 61 and hasn't been seen since.








Thailand is full of markets!

Wanted something like this, but didn't get it.

One Saturday, I went to this market that spanned blocks.  It was huge!!  It reminded me of a fair--complete with food stalls everywhere.  The stores were arranged in blocks and sub-blocks.  They even gave me a map so I didn't get lost.  I tried to be strategic about my shopping--but sometimes I just wouldn't know how I ended up where I was.  It was a blast!!

Really, really wanted these...and bought them!


Thailand is also full of really fancy, smancy malls.



The Gourmet Market--full of imports!



This one particular mall was called Terminal 21.  It was like an airport and each floor represented one city of the world.  Can you guess what cities I "visited"?

Ready for take-off!











One day I was missing South Asia so much, I had to go to that section of town. 




Some other random things that I really liked

Seeing a friend from training that works in this city
Going to a Thai national ch.rch

I finally found it!  A smoked salmon on a bagel!  I ate it one time almost 5 years ago in the London airport and have been looking for it ever since!  Hmmmm!


Blueberry pancakes, cappuccino, Nehemiah study, and the Word of G0d.  It doesn't get much better in a morning!

The Thai national dress.  I really, really like it!
I think that finishes up my two week Thailand adventures.  It was a great time--full of fun sights and yummy food, but I am glad to be back in South Asia!










No comments:

Post a Comment