Today I went on a walking tour in the part of the city I haven't been in too often. I go through it a lot, but have never before seen the ins and outs of it. The tour guide referred to it as the "gray" part of the city. The white British lived primarily in the south part of the city and the dark Bengalis lived primarily in the north part of the city. This section of the city was (and still is) comprised of something like 30 different people groups. Neither dark nor white, they are gray, and they have perserved some of their own culture in this city of 15 million. The tour guide also credited them with helping the British to remain in power for as long as they did.
Here are some of the views I saw today:
| This chalkboard contains news from the "town's people"--births, deaths, weddings, important announcements, etc. |
| "No Pork or Beef"--sad day! |
| Well, this place had beef! |
| Hebrew on the left and English on the right--found where a community of Jews reside |
We ended the day at an Historic coffee house! Good food, good coffee, and authentically dressed service.
No comments:
Post a Comment