Saturday, December 3, 2011

Busyness

Sorry that it has been over a week since I posted my last blog. The last week has probably been the busiest since I have been here. My sleep intake was much less than desirable and it seemed I always had something to do.

We were blessed to have a language coordinator from our company come and stay with us. She was like a breath of fresh air in our apartment. She taught us some new strategies for learning language. It is known as GPA and basically you use picture cards/real objects to create a picture in your mind of the new word, rather than linking it to a written word. You begin with listening and then gradually build in speaking. It is much like how a baby learns language. I think the tools we learned during our trainings while she was here will be a good addition to our language school. Using GPA, I think we will learn more vocabulary to fit into the grammatical structures we have learned in school.

Speaking of school, we had A LOT of it! We have four classes and go to class from 8-12 Sunday through Thursday. 4 hours of Bangla is about more than my brain can take. In addition, we have quite a bit of homework. There were many times this past week I was still writing Bangla script at midnight. There is good news though. We have learned all the letters! That really is a success considering the Bengali language has 50 letters!! I have a test on them Sunday, so I need to make sure I really have them down.

I know that doesn't seem like much going on, but it was! Yesterday, I went to an English speaking "fellowship" for the first time since leaving America two months ago. It was wonderful!! Singing English songs with other Believers is really something I have missed. Afterwards, I was so tired I decided to skip the fun things others were doing and go back to the apartment and take a nap. It was great!! Now, I think I am about ready for another week, but hopefully this one will be less busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment