Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Joy of Modern Technology

I fully anticipated Christmas being a very hard time of the year to be away from home…and it was…but not quite as bad as I thought it might be.  Sometimes it is very nice to live in a world with internet, computers, and SKYPE!  Using Skype was almost (I did say almost) like being there.  I got to see everyone as they opened their presents.  I got to talk to each person who came to Christmas.  And, I even got to open my open gifts over Skype.  Sort of.  I hope no one gets offended if I say this, but it is kind of how I would imagine a quadriplegic would feel.  I could see and hear, but couldn’t move.  Everyone had to move me around and tilt me this way and that so I could see what was going on.  When it came time to open my gift from Grandpa and Grandma Orr and see what Santa left me, mom came over to the computer and slowly opened it for me all the while describing what was going on.  In a way, it was a pretty fun way to do Christmas.  Although I still definitely missed being home to celebrate, I am very thankful for Skype!  Now, if we can only figure out how to get the food over to me…

Me watching Grandpa and Grandma Riffle open their gift.


Grandma Orr's present
Stewart, my cousin, already reading his new Wimpy Kid book
Benjamin, also a cousin, checking out his new clothes

No comments:

Post a Comment