Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Trip Down Memory Lane

We went to New Market today, the one part of the city I half-way know.  When I came three years ago, we stayed down in this area of town.   New Market was where I did all of my shopping.  I had been looking forward to this day and seeing all the places I had been before.  It was this trip that really changed the direction of my life.  I always knew the Father had a heart to see others come to know Him and that I had been called to work alongside Him doing this.  However, it wasn’t until I came here three years ago that I really encountered how dire the situation was.  I remember the first night I left the hotel and went into New Market.  The things I saw brought me to tears:  the lostness, the desperation, the hopelessness.  The Father really opened my eyes to how much these people need Him.  That trip three years ago was probably the hardest 10 days of my life, but after those 10 days, I’ve never been the same or looked at things the same way.  It’s kind of funny, I didn’t really enjoy being here then, but as soon as I got on the plane and went back home, I wanted to come back.  It is such a blessing to be back here working with the Father to bring people to Him.

As we were walking, all the memories came flooding back to me.  I wasn’t exactly sure where we were, but then I saw a shoe shop and could see my friend sitting there on our first night in the city trying on shoes.  We walked a little farther and there was the Fairlawn Hotel, the place that had been our refuge in the midst of chaos.  Right next to it was the chia stand where we would get the best tea before going to Mother Theresa’s Mother House.  I turned the corner and the familiar “Blue Sky Café” sign greeted me.  We went in and it looked just the same—same weird wallpaper and pictures.  I think they had updated the menu though.  I visited with the waiter and told him I remembered coming to his restaurant three years ago and was very happy to be back.




It was a good day to look back and remember and also to recognize how the Father used all of those experiences to wake me up and bring me back here.  How Great is the Father’s Plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment