Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wheeling through Rome

We arrived in Rome today around 7 am to 60 degree (F) temperatures!  I was tired, tired, tired...I guess that happens when you sleep a total of 4 hours in two days.  We took the train to a very central stop in the city.  Our hostel (first time I've ever stayed in one of those) was near the stop and we walked to where we will be staying for the next several days.

Number one thing for me--sleep!  I slept for a good 3 hours and finally felt like my brain was half-way functioning.

Number two thing for me--a shower!  Let me just say that central hot water and a shower with doors so the surrounding floor doesn't get wet is really nice!

We went for a late lunch here...


I had this...a spinach calzone and pizza.  Yum, yummy!  My first real Italian food in Italy was fantastic.

After dinner we wondered the streets a bit and saw this...

and this...wow!

This afternoon, we went on a four-hour bike tour of the city.  It was probably the neatest thing I've ever done.  We saw so much in those four hours...my head is still spinning from it all.  Most of the sights we plan to go back and visit more thoroughly in the coming days.  It was a great way to get a feel for Rome and see the great historical sights this city homes.  It was incredible riding down cobblestone roads, turning the corner, and having a structure you've seen only in the movies appear before your eyes.  There were many occasions where I was rendered speechless and could only smile and be in awe.

Here are some pictures from the tour.  They don't do it justice at all.  The camera lense just doesn't capture the lighting, sounds, smells, and atmosphere of this place.  I must also admit my brain is a bit like mush right now (thank you, jet lag) and I can't remember the names of all the places nor do I have the energy to look them up in Rick Steve's travel book.

My bike and me in front of some ancient structures.  It had been quite some time since I had ridden a bike, but I managed to not crash and burn...however, I did run into two people, barely.

Our wonderful tour guide

A spectacular view of the city!

There is a church that has a peep hole.  You can look through it and see the dome that is in the center of the panoramic picture above.

Ruins of the temple to Apollo


Other great views from the tour...






We stopped for a snack of gelato (Italian ice cream).  I had coffee and pure chocolate flavor.  Deliciouoso!





You may not be able to pick it out, but in the middle of this picture is a small structure with a shiny room.  Julius Caesar was originally buried there.


We finished the day at a great little restaurant.  By this time, my camera battery had died, so no pictures of the pasta we had the pleasure of eating.  Also, no pictures of our waiter, who happened to be South Asian and spoke Bengali.  What a small, strange world!

I am off to bed and cannot wait for the sights, smells, tastes, and people tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment