Wow! I did a lot today and saw so many incredible things. We started the morning by going to the Trevi Fountain. It is simply spectacular...
A friend of ours from training came today. It was so good to see her and tour the sights with her. We went back to the Pantheon today. I pulled out my trusty Rick Steves Kindle book and read all about the Pantheon as we walked through it.
 |
| The Pantheon. The pillars in front are huge. Rick Steves said that it would take 4 large tourists joining hands to wrap around the pillars...we tried it and we could do it with just the three of us. I'm not sure what that says about us... |
Some photos from inside the Pantheon...
 |
| Raphael (the painter, not the Ninja Turtle) is buried here |
 |
| Two other kings are buried in the Pantheon, as is one of the king's wives. Yes, her name is Margherita, and yes, the pizza is named after her. |
 |
| Me inside the Pantheon |
This video is from inside the Pantheon and shows what it looks like on the inside. My goodness!
 |
| Fontana del Pantheon |
 |
| Even buildings that are not huge tourist destinations are beautiful. This one was just around the corner from the Pantheon. |
We met up with a fellow Worker in Rome. They own an art shop and hold art shows for budding artists. They also give art and music lessons there. This provides them with a great opportunity for them to share Truth. One particular exhibit showed a man's life and how it is full of struggle. It is very moving and gives a great entry for sharing of the one who gives Hope and Life.
 |
| Basilica San Paolo (near the art studio) |
This evening, we decided to do a walking tour of the Heart of Rome (thank you, Rick). It began at Campo de Fiori. We ate dinner there--I had gnocchi, smile, and looked out upon the tourists exploring.
 |
| Statue of Giordano Bruno who was a heretic and burned at the stake in this exact location. |
The next stop on the tour was Piazza Navona...
 |
| The Church of St. Agnes |
 |
| Four Rivers Fountain |
 |
| The artists scattered around the Piazza Navona square. |
Next, we made our way down the streets of Rome back to the Pantheon.
 |
| As we continued walking,we came upon where the Italian Parliament meets. |
We continued walking and suddenly we were back at the Trevi Fountain.
 |
| As in the tradition, we threw coins in the fountain. Apparently, if you throw one coin over your left shoulder, it means you will return to Rome. I'm not sure what it means if you throw it over your right shoulder...which we all did. I'm also not sure what it means in you through in an Indian Rupee. I threw in two coins, the first of which was a Euro. The second was a rupee--the exchange rate it better for me so I saved some money! |
The last stop on our tour was the Spanish steps.
 |
| Next to the Spanish steps is where John Keats died of tuberculosis. Near there is also where Lord Byron lived. |
 |
| The Spanish Steps |
 |
| View of Rome standing on the Spanish Steps |
I walked a lot today seeing many wonderful sights in Rome...but I'm not sure I walked enough to work off all the wonderful food I ate. Sigh.
Time for bed! Up on the docket for tomorrow--the Colosseum!
Buona notte!
No comments:
Post a Comment