Monday, March 11, 2013

Feeling Face

The "Feelings Face" made it's appearance at school today!  I first made this depiction of me when I was teaching ESL in Togo four (can't believe it's been four) years ago.  I think I have about more fun with it than the kids, but the eyes and the mouths are velcroed to show 5 different emotions:  happy, sad, angry, scared, and tired. 

About every time I pull it out there is a little discussion on if "tired" is actually an emotion--but, I am maintaining it is.  Actually, being tired trumps about all the other emotions because when I'm tired, I can't be happy...and I'm not really angry or sad, I'm just tired.  I digress...

Anyway, I had fun teaching the kids in the slum school a short lesson on feelings.  As you know, I am a ham sometimes and I love to act goofy in front of kids.  They couldn't hardly contain themselves when I started boo-hooing or stomping my feet.  It was pure pleasure to watch them giggle and then try to act out the emotion at the same time.

Angry

Sad
There have been a few other things that have been happening lately at the school.  About two months ago, the children all received new backpacks.  They were trilled to get them!  Some of them are so little the bags are as big as they are--pretty humorous watching them leave the school.




Recently we have had more concrete ideas of what we would be teaching.  That meant lesson plans, writing substitute plans while I was in Thailand, and making their tests.  I felt like a 'real' teacher again!  I taught science to some older kids, English to the mid-agers, and nursery rhymes to some 6 year olds.  Last week, it was time for exams...


Please lift up these precious children today.  Ask that they would learn their academics, but more-so that they would learn of the Savior who loves them and longs to be their redeemer, friend, and only God--who can change their sadness to gladness, their anger to calm, and their fear to peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment