Well, I knew it was going to happen...and I was dreading the day when it would...but it happened anyway.
Someone turned on the hot switch.
When I returned from Thailand, it was pleasant all day, if not slightly cool in the mornings and evenings. I slept without the fan running. It was enjoyable to walk places. I could hear when my roommates were speaking all throughout the house because there were no fans making noise. Cooking did not require every fan in the house to be running full blast. It was nice.
Now, about 20 days later, I sleep with as little clothing as possible, with the fan running, the windows open, and am still damp with perspiration. It is now too hot to sit out on the porch and read. The kitchen is a sauna and turning on the stove means the sweat starts rolling. Getting out of the taxi means pulling and straightening the loose fabric that is now plastered to my leg. Simply moving is becoming a chore as I glisten at the slightest exertion. Sitting in the easy-chair is uncomfortably warm. It is hot and not too nice.
The funny thing about all of it to me is that there was no gradual warm-up--it was cool and then it was hot. I remember one evening talking with Taylor and we both looked at each other and said, "It is hot!" Not two days earlier, we were still covering up when we slept. It is just like someone flipped the switch and make it suddenly hot.
So, the hot switch has been turned on and won't be turned off for quite a while. In fact, I'll have this sticky, sweaty, shiny-face feeling until I go back to the States in July. Better get used to the hot switch, because someone is about to turn up the heat dial as well...
P.S. I'm still trying to be strong and not use the AC, but my resolve is quickly melting away...
No comments:
Post a Comment