On October7, I turned 25! Having a birthday away from home, even when I was just at college, has always been a bit difficult for me. However, the people and friends I was with made this birthday very special. It wasn't quite the same as at home, but it was still fantastic!
Being in South Asia, I see, hear, and smell odd things daily, but on my birthday, my friends and I decided to try to find 25 things that would have never occurred in America. Here goes…
- Having my birthday come 10.5 hours sooner than usual!
- Awaking to the sounds of horns outside my window.
- Wearing a kurta and dupata.
- Having the option of curry for breakfast. I did not partake.
- Going to Qutb Minar. It is a large tower and mosque built in the late 1100s and 1200s. It was amazing to see the ruins. The architecture and intricacy of designs and moldings on the buildings were extravagant and very beautiful.
- Having a security guard come up to us without our asking at Qutb Minar and start explaining some of the structures. Problem was we could only understand about every 6th word…and then he wanted paid…we didn't!
- Having another security guard use hand motions to show us where would be some good photo opportunities and then offering to take our picture.
- Having people I've never met want to have me in their picture.
- Bartering for the price of postcards, water, and an auto taxi.
- Seeing a car, auto rickshaw, bicycle rickshaw, bicycle, and motorcycle all on the road at the same time. There are no lanes and everyone weaves back and forth. I have heard the two rules of the road are honk and only worry about what is happening in front of you!
- Taking my life into my own hands as I cross the street. Seriously, sometimes you have to start across at a small break in the traffic and let the cars move around you. Most of the time though there is a long enough break to walk across with no worries.
- Telling an auto driver that we wanted to go to M-block Market and him taking us to another shop in the other direction of where we had asked to go. We had to repeatedly tell him that we wanted to go and did not want to look there. That was very strange!
- Riding in the craziest auto I have ever ridden in. The driver was nuts! We probably almost hit another car 4 times crossed an intercession by weaving through it twice, but the auto driver seemed to know what he was doing. We got their safely!
- Seeing a cow in the middle of the road. I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to get a picture of it…but it was there.
- Ordering a small appetizer to share at a restaurant and having the waiter take the menus away when we still hadn't ordered our meal for lunch.
- Being in a restaurant and clearing seeing a "No Smoking" sign while smelling cigarette smoke.
- Passing many, many dogs just lying in the middle of the sidewalk.
- Getting rupees out of an ATM.
- Seeing a man suspend from a wooden scaffold—which consisted of only 2" sticks tied together.
- Seeing 30 wires tangled together and all connected to one electric pole.
- When we asked to find a specific electronic item at a stop called Central Electronics, we were told they didn't have it, but to go to an electronics store!
- Ordering pizza from a South Asian Pizza Hut and getting paneer and baby corn on it.
- Watching a Bollywood movie in a foreign language.
- Riding in a bicycle rickshaw back to the hotel.
- Nodding off at 8:30 because of the jetlag and odd tummy sickness.
Even though there were 25 odd things, many things were good and familiar!
- One of the people in charge of the orientation baked me a very yummy chocolate cake. Mom sent candles with me and we put them in there to blow out.
- Receiving some very nice gifts that were sent with me from home and also a very nice book of nice notes from people I met in Virginia.
- Arranging my cards on the table, just like we do at home.
All in all, I had a wonderful birthday and felt very blessed to have such great family and friends at home and family and friends here to share it with!
 |
| Me in a Kurta and Dupata |
 |
| My friends and I at the Qutb Minar...the security guard took this picture. |
 |
| Qutb Minar |
 |
| Ruins at the Qutb Minar |
 |
| Inside the crazy auto ride |
 |
| Blowing out the candles (from home) with a new friend of mine |
 |
| The wonderful book of nice notes |
 |
| Watching the Bollywood movie |
 |
| My card and gift display |
I'm glad you had such a nice and exciting Birthday !.
ReplyDeleteI've been praying for you !
Love, Phyllis Jones