Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Visiting the Slum


Today I had an awesome time visiting a slum in this city. In this city, there is a river or lake that goes down the middle of the city. On one side is the normal living conditions of the city and on the other side is a very large slum. To get to the slum, we had to ride in a boat across the river. I can't say that I had ever been to a slum in the city before, but it wasn't too much different than some of the parts of Lome I have been in. All of the homes are made of tin and families live with their extended family. Inside the slum are stores, places to get food, and even schools.

When we arrived there, we first went to a girls school. There were about 40 girls ranging from age 8-16 in the class and two teachers. Most of the students, as well as most of the slum, are Musl.m background. The teachers were Believers. We sat down and talked to them a bit (we used another worker who has amazing Bongla as a translator). Then we asked them if they would sing us a song. They sang about how the Father created all people, no matter how different they are. We were also given some very good tea (I am told they make it with sweetened condensed milk and even more sugar…can't have that too often!). The children there were so sweet!

We were about to leave to go back home, when a friend of the worker I was with saw us and invited us into his home. We were thrilled to go, so we walked about 7 minutes back into the slum to his home. He is a university student who knows quite a bit of English. We met his family including his sisters and sisters-in-law, nephews and nieces, and his mother as we sat in a place where he must study as it is filled with many good books. I tried to practice all the Bongla phrases I knew, so I asked everyone their name and how they were. Some children around age 5 were there so I taught them the song "One little, two little, three little children." Then, much to my surprise, a boy who is only 5 years old began to count in English. I was amazed when he continued on past 10 to 11, 12, 13, etc. My mouth about hit the floor when he continued on to 50 all by himself. I was further surprised when he counted all the way to 100 in English with only a little prompting! Wow!!

Hospitality is a real theme around here, and I think I am only seeing a glimpse of it. Even at this student's home, we were given Sprite, apples, and cookies. I had read that Bengalis were very hospitable people and had experienced in my time in South Asia 3 years ago, but it is amazing how truly giving they are. Some has so little, but are willing to give whatever they have.

Here are some pictures of the slum, and some of the precious children I saw there. Please lift them to the Father. Many are Musl.m, so ask that the Truth of ÁC will be heard and received.
 Looking at the slum from across the lake
 Look at the contrast!


 The girls at the school singing for us.




He counted to 100 in English!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for teling about your day and sharing pictures. It helps me to see the beautiful faces and to get a glimpse of life for them; to seek better for them and be a part (in a small way) of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete