Saturday, October 15, 2011

Temples Made By Human Hands

Over the past three weeks, I have had several religious cultural experiences.  I was trying to count up today how many different religion’s places of worship I have been recently and I think I came up with at least seven.  I thought I would use this blog to share with you some things about each of those places.


The week I was at home before coming to South Asia, my grandma and I went on a quick trip to Salt Lake City, Utah to see my cousin (which, by the way, was an awesome time!).  One of the things we went to see was the Mormon’s Temple Square.  It was beautiful, as you can see by the picture below.  Inside one of the buildings were amazing paintings of stories from the B.ble, even stories of ÁC.  In fact, there was a huge sculpture of ÁC there that is very famous.





Next, I think I went to Isckcon temple (Hare Krishna—a sect or cult of H.nduism) that I described earlier on the blog.  Look back a few posts to see pictures and a video on it.
Tuesday, we went and visited a H.ndu temple.  There was an idol several hundred years old there, as well several other idols.  In contrast to the Iskcon temple where people were worshipping, these people were obviously desperate to sacrifice before their gsd.  They had bought all sorts of things to offer him (flowers, sweets, etc), and were pushing each other to reach their idol and offer their offering to him.  I don’t know if I have ever seen people more frantic to try to appease their gsd.  I don’t have a picture of this place, but I don’t think it would do it justice anyway.  The noises, smells, feeling like you can’t escape, but the overwhelming feeling of darkness just can’t be captured in a picture.
Thursday, we went to a Sikh temple.  It was also several hundred years old and quite beautiful.  Sikhs believe in one gsd and most of what they believe about him is what is true of the One True Gsd.  However, they believe he is formless and would never take human form.  They also do not believe in ÁC.  They believe in reincarnation and that their goal is oneness with gsd.  In a way, they are like a blend of Isl@m and H.nduism.  They have several strange beliefs, but a main one is that they never cut any part of their hair and the men wear a turban.

Today, we visited a Musl.m burial ground where one of their important leaders from the South Asia part of the world is buried.  We were walking to get there when we suddenly rounded the corner and entered “cousin” land.  It was strange to watch them worship their dead.  They almost worshiped if as if he were a gsd.  Only men were allowed to go into certain parts of the memorial, so most everyone sat in the courtyard-type-thing and prayed, talked, or shot the breeze.




We also went to the Lotus Temple today.  The Lotus Temple is a part of the Bahá'í religion.  The main goal of this religion is to unite or combine all the religions of the world (craziness, right?).  Their temple is in the design of the Sydney Opera house and is quite an attraction in this city.  I didn’t see many true followers of this religion (minus the workers), but only tourists.




Backtracking almost 3 weeks now, was going to my House of Worship, where I worship with other people who believe in the Most High, One True Gsd.  Worshipping together in Spirit and in Truth with my sisters and brothers in Gsd’s family is so freeing.  Worshipping together knowing and have the assurance that our Savior is not dead, but alive.  Worshipping together because we love Gsd because He first loved us and sent ÁC while we were yet sinners.  Worshipping together knowing that each of us has a personal relationship with the Most High Gsd and has a direct line of communication to Him anytime and anywhere.


In all the other places of worship I have been in lately, a feeling of dread and almost physical sickness came over me.  I could feel the darkness there.  I hurt for the people who Satan has trapped in these false religious.  I grieved for the families, and especially children, who knew no better than to go to their family’s place of worship and offer praises to false gsds.  No matter the differing doctrine and theology, they are all based on the works people do.  However, no matter how many good works are done, we can never attain the perfection of Gsd.  “…a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in ÁC. So we, too, have put our faith in ÁC that we may be justified by faith in ÁC and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.”  Galations 2:16


Some of the religions I have been in contact recently are closer to the Truth than others, but they have all still missed it.  Mormonism was just as concerning as H.nduism, maybe even more so.  Mormons are surrounded by the Truth and yet blinded to it.  They, like the “Cousins,” believe the Word of Gsd is corrupt and there is a newer, more correct version.  On almost the other end of the spectrum is H.ndus.  They have over 330 million gsds, and no two H.ndus practice H.nduism in the same way.


As I was sitting in the huge room of the Lotus Temple today, I was reflecting on the different religions just in this city.  The people have cycled through many, many different religions, searching for the one that will give them peace and hope.  However, so very many of them haven’t found it!  The only One who can stop the endless searching is ÁC.  He is the only one who can give peace and hope.  Sadly, as I have looked across this city, the house of worship I see missing in a House of Worship to the One True Gsd.  I know there are House Gatherings, and people are growing in the Father and the Word.  I know that our Gsd doesn’t dwell in a building, but in the hearts of His people.  But still, in a city were religion is so important and where massive buildings mark important places, is would be great if the One True Gsd were represented as well.  Perhaps, and I ask that it be so, one day there will be so many followers of ÁC that His presence would be made known in every dark alley and corner of this city.  I ask not for a House of Worship, but that this city would be a City of Worship and that even if there never is a beautiful building like the other religions; that the beauty in the hearts of His followers would shine brighter and be more radiant than all the gold plating and intricate designs on other buildings.


“The Gsd who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands.  And He is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, He himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. From one man He made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.  Gsd did this so that they would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find him, though He is not far from any one of us. ‘For in Him we live and move and have our being.’”  Acts 17:24-28.



1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...not realy sure why all the JCs ended up being ACs...I guess you will have to translate!

    ReplyDelete