Friday, October 21, 2011

A Different Holy Day

Since flying last Sunday to a predominately Musl.m country, several things are a bit different. Many of these things were expected, but I learned one thing today I hadn't really thought about or realized. Their holy day is Friday, whereas our holy day is Sunday. For the most part, the city is much less busy and crowded. The traffic here is outlandish on most days, but this morning, we didn't get stuck in a traffic jam even once. Rickshaws and public transportation still run and there are some shops and many restaurants that are open, but most everyone is going to the mssque. There are so many mssques in this city; it is easy to just walk to one.

In the JC community, the Friday holy day takes on many different looks. For example, this morning we went to a fellowship of believers and they were having "Sunday School" on Friday morning. This fellowship will have its cooperate worship on Sunday evening. The children met first and then the youth/college age met about 10:30. We joined them in studying Gsd's Word and worshiping together. There are other fellowships that meet Friday morning. I know of an AG fellowship that meets Friday morning in a fancy hotel and I think we may visit there soon. This evening, a house fellowship met relatively close to where we live, so we went there. It was a group of about 40 people and when I think if national gatherings of believers, this is what I think of. We removed our shoes, and then gathered in a small room together, with men on one side and women on the other. The room was just large enough for us all to sit cross-legged. There was a time of testimony and then people would gather around that person and lift them to the Father. There was also a 10-15 minute time of communication with the Father. It was amazing how similar it was to how the people in Togo communicate with the Father corporately. Preaching followed (the same passage used in our Com.ssioning) and then we sang praises. Both the morning "Sunday school" and this serviced ended with tea and snacks, a good practice in my opinion.

After attending a national service, I was always humbled by their fervor and excitement for the Good News. The time of praises to the Father lasted a long time. I am saddened to realize that I ran out of things to say long before the time was finished. I so often take for granted the characteristics, holiness, and grace of the Father. These believers who come from H.ndu and Chr.stian backgrounds recognize the uniqueness and unfathomableness of the Father. I think I have much to learn from them about praising the Father in all His goodness.

Today was an interesting day….I thought it was Sunday all day long, but it wasn't. The weekend is Friday and Saturday here—in the country where I am doing language school. Sunday starts the work week. So, when I go to language school, I will go Sunday through Thursday…strange to my thinking (sidenote—my language doesn't start until Monday this week because of a holiday). It will not feel right to go to school on a Sunday. Oh, the many different nuances of a different culture. I just have to go with it…but do not be surprised if I thoroughly confuse myself on what day of the week it is. I have a feeling this is going to mess up my internal calendar…lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment